Effective Treatment for Auto Injuries
When an auto accident occurs, getting checked out at the hospital or by your doctor is the usual path. Depending on the severity of your injury following a car accident, you may or may not be taken to the hospital. But what a lot of people who’ve just suffered injuries in a car accident don’t realize, is that once you get out of the hospital, you should probably get seen by a chiropractor with years of experience treating auto injuries.
The forces subjected to the occupants of a vehicle during a car accident are very powerful. If you like physics and math, here’s a great site to check out the force on the driver after a car crash. Click here for forces on driver.
Chiropractors are physicians that deal with the biomechanics of the spine. Doctors of chiropractic can provide adjustments or ‘spinal manipulations’ that can aid in the healing process following a car accident.* Utilizing the treatment of a skilled chiropractor is an excellent way to get the relief you desire without the need for drugs or surgery. Here are some great reasons to consider a chiropractor for your health needs:
- Inflammation – When you visit a doctor, they will check you for injury and perhaps order x-rays to see if there is any major damage. Thankfully, most car accidents don’t involve major damage, but minor injuries that can result in strains, sprains and what chiropractors like to call, subluxations in the spine. This trauma results in inflammation and is often termed whiplash. Spinal manipulation can help to release naturally-occurring anti-inflammatory substances in the body to help with reduction of inflammation and a decrease in pain.
- Motion – Chiropractic adjustments will help to lessen the stiffness of sore joints and muscles that are inflamed. This will help the body to get back to normal and restore a proper range of motion.
- Pain – After a chiropractic visit, the body releases endorphins that reduce pain felt in the body. They can even treat other regions of pain in the body that may have been there prior to the auto accident. In fact there was a study published in Feb 2018 that showed a decrease use of opioids by 55% in chiropractic patients who were treated for low back pain. Chiropractic spinal manipulation is a great alternative to standard pain management that involves drugs that may become habit forming or have dangerous side effects.
- Immediacy – Getting chiropractic treatment as soon as possible will limit the amount of pain and discomfort you are feeling. This type of alternative care has been around for over 100 years and has proven successful in treating pain and discomfort.
The most common types of auto injuries we treat in our office are neck injuries (whiplash), low back injuries (lumbar sprains, lumbar strains), herniated discs, and headaches. These type of injuries may not be visible by testing performed in standard doctor offices. The symptoms that are often experienced after a car accident include, headaches, back pain, neck pain, stiffness, anxiety, and chest pain (due to forces exerted on the chest by the seat belt). Even a small injury can cause your head to be shaken or your body to stiffen; including all of the muscles in the neck and back.
Here at the Chiropractic Center of Bristol, we’ve been treating auto injuries since 1983. We will start our evaluation by taking a detailed history of the accident and treatment you had prior to visiting our office. We’ll then perform a detailed examination including orthopedic tests, neurological tests, ranges of motion, spinal palpation examination, and more. Depending on your situation, we will either order x-rays, or an MRI. In addition, we may refer you to another specialist if it is warranted.
Once we have all of the information required, we will create a custom plan for a specific course of treatment. Above all, we are experienced in treating auto injuries, and we truly care about our patients.
* Chiropractic treatment of patients in motor vehicle accidents: a statistical analysis